Saturday, September 24, 2022

Growing Class Sizes

Class size is something that almost every teacher understands is important. Smaller class sizes have been proven to be more effective for direct instruction. However, class size reduction is also very costly, making it a big debate in the education world over how much it matters. It is well known that a smaller classroom allows for teachers to be more attentive in students lives. Furthermore, studies show that class size has an even bigger impact for low income and minority students. Research shows higher rates of college attendance in smaller classes, with an even bigger increase for minority students. This can be attributed to the fact that in smaller classes, teachers have a chance to connect with students and offer a sense of community. One debate surrounding classroom size is that there are other factors in the classroom that are more important than class size such as teacher salary. Some of the reasons people continue to neglect prioritizing smaller classes is because of the belief that smaller class sizes is simply not worth the price tag. 

Classroom Filled With Empty Desks
As a future teacher, I hope that the trend of larger class sizes slows down, so that I can fully give my time and attention to each student. As a math teacher, I understand how each student struggles and understands math in different ways. In a classroom environment, one on one time is crucial to help develop and foster understanding. I think the benefits of small classes are huge, including enhanced learning, community, and feedback. One thing that greatly affects my feelings about class size is my educational background. Coming from an elementary school with small class sizes, around 15, and then experiencing a bigger school later on, I understand the huge impact that it can have. I got to experience having teachers that I could trust and connect with in a small classroom environment. I hope to give my future students the same experience, which is why classroom size is so important to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Educational Blogging

As someone who has participated in educational blogging as well as observed others participating, I see how it can be used as an invaluable ...